Everybody wants to get in shape. It’s just natural to want to be your best. The problem is it’s not easy. It takes work. Recently I’ve seen many people asking “How did you do it?, How do I get started? I can’t get motivated, what’s your motivation?” The truth is you have to WANT it.
You have to really want to be a better you. If you really want it you’ll get started by just getting started. There’s no miracle exercise or diet. There’s just dedication and work. If you don’t WANT to do the work, getting fit probably won’t happen.
If you ask me what made me WANT to get healthier, I can give you so many examples:
- I wanted to be able to ride a roller coaster, I didn’t fit in the seats.
- I wanted to be able to fly on a plane without worrying if they were going to charge me for 2 seats.
- I wanted to be able to chase my daughter around the house and actually catch her.
- I wanted to be able to shop in the entire store, not just the big and tall section.
- I wanted to be able to climb a mountain and trees.
- I wanted to be able to run an obstacle course.
- I wanted to be able to do anything I could think of doing.
- I wanted to be able to look in the mirror again and not feel ashamed of what was looking back.
When I was overweight, none of those things were options. They just weren’t. I got tired climbing stairs, not mountains. I broke into a sweat every time I checked in for a flight. I once had to jump off a roller coaster at the last-minute because I couldn’t get the safety belt fastened. I had a limited selection of shirts and an even smaller selection that I was comfortable wearing.
If you really want it, you have to be ready for success and failure. You will have setbacks. You will have victories. You won’t always know what you are doing but you will learn. You will find better workouts and better meal plans. Every day will reveal new information and contain new lessons. Just keep going. Forward progress is forward progress. Revell in any and every achievement and learn from every failure. Anybody can get healthier, the key is just having the desire.